Ever wonder what to make with those canned fire-roasted tomatoes?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- pita bread, optional for serving
- 1In a Dutch oven or deep sided skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium high heat. Add shallots, celery, thyme, and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, less than 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, 1/4 cup of water, and the sugar and continue to cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
- 2Stir in the tomatoes and increase the heat to high; cook another 3 minutes. Stir in the lentils and another cup of water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook to soften the lentils, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the mustard; cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in half the parsley. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- 4Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Break each egg, individually, into a small bowl, then slide into the skillet to fry until the whites are set, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, divide lentils among serving plates, top with a fried egg, then garnish with remaining parsley. Serve with pita bread if desired.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentils With Fried Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 571.5
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 208.9 mg
- Sodium 142.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 34.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: