Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ever wonder what to make with those canned fire-roasted tomatoes?
Make and share this Lentils With Fried Eggs recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) canfire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- pita bread, optional for serving
- In a Dutch oven or deep sided skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium high heat. Add shallots, celery, thyme, and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, less than 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, 1/4 cup of water, and the sugar and continue to cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the tomatoes and increase the heat to high; cook another 3 minutes. Stir in the lentils and another cup of water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook to soften the lentils, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard; cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in half the parsley. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Break each egg, individually, into a small bowl, then slide into the skillet to fry until the whites are set, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, divide lentils among serving plates, top with a fried egg, then garnish with remaining parsley. Serve with pita bread if desired.