Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 1/4 c. lentil mixture and 3/4 c. rice. Per serving: 447 calories, 3.3 g fat, 17 g protein, 90.6 g carb, 12.4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol.
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 7.39 ml garam masala
- 236.59 ml chopped tomato
- 4.92 ml ground turmeric
- 4.92 ml grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 453.59 g eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 946.36 ml water
- 236.59 ml dried lentils
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 473.18 ml chopped zucchini
- 1064.65 ml hot cooked basmati rice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garam masala; stir/saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in tomato, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and eggplant; stir/saute 7 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Add water, lentils, salt, and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Serve over rice.
This was very good!!! But I increased the spices a bit, used only 3 cups water as another reviewer suggested and felt that it needed a bit more salt and pepper as well. Very hearty and very healthy. I ate it plain without the rice. Thanks for posting!
I tried making this the other night, and it turned out not bad, using 3 C of water instead of 4 as recommended by Happy Harry #2. I often find lentil dishes turn out somewhat bland, which was the case with this. The ingredients are simple and easy to find, it is a healthy meal, and the taste is quite nice - perhaps with a bit more spices it would be less bland.