Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 1/4 c. lentil mixture and 3/4 c. rice. Per serving: 447 calories, 3.3 g fat, 17 g protein, 90.6 g carb, 12.4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol.
Top Review by Vino p.o. prn
This was very good!!! But I increased the spices a bit, used only 3 cups water as another reviewer suggested and felt that it needed a bit more salt and pepper as well. Very hearty and very healthy. I ate it plain without the rice. Thanks for posting!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 lb) eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 4 1⁄2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garam masala; stir/saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in tomato, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and eggplant; stir/saute 7 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Add water, lentils, salt, and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Serve over rice.