Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
a lentil hearty soup, well-spiced with apricots and curry and cumin
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed and soaked 2 hours
- 4 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons morga vegetable bouillon granules
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) can canned apricots, drained and chopped
- 2 ounces apricot brandy, if desired
- Rinse and then soal dried lentils 2 hours or so.
- In oil, fry chopped onion for 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Add vegetable bouillon granules that have been dissolved in boiling water.
- Drain lentils and add.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer on very low heat for about 30 minutes or to desired softness.
- Cool and add curry, cumin and garlic.
- Add chopped apricots, if desired.
- Add a swig of apricot brandy, if desired.
- These are very good as a chilled soup for lunch or dinner in the summer.
- Can also use Better Than Bouillon vegetable base.