Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I LOVE lentils. I eat them at least once a week. I also love capers and anchovies, so I came up with this. Lentils also taste delicious with an egg on top- especially one with a runny yolk. Don't let the anchovies scare you, as they're just there to flavor the lentils and their strong flavor will dissipate as you cook.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8 -12 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- Saute onion & garlic in olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add celery, carrots, and anchovies, and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add lentils and stir well. Add stock/water, bay leaf, capers, and cloves. Cover, lower heat, and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Just before lentils are done, melt butter in a separate pan, then crack the eggs into it and cook until whites are firm and yolks are runny, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the lentils are done, add salt and pepper if you wish. Serve lentils with fried egg on top.
I actually made this without the anchovies, but did use lots of Worcestershire sauce(which has anchovies in it). I enjoyed it a lot! Thanks!
GREAT! Once you get past the "lentils, anchovies, capers and a fried egg"! I had one person who expressed much doubt before production who, after the final product, expressed much appreciation! I wasn't sure what course this would fit to serve: hmm, breakfast? lunch? dinner? Any course, of course! I think this would make a SPECTACULAR brunch or lunch entr?e. I made as directed and served in individual ramekins; I also sprinkled some turmeric over the top of the eggs. Thanks, rpgaymer! Made for PRMR tag game.