Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A hearty lentil soup that re-heats well. Best served in a bowl with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and some nice crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces smoked ham, diced very fine (or any kind of smoked meat)
- 1 cup dry lentils, washed and sorted
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 2 fresh tomatoes)
- 6 cups stock (I use Knorrs beef bouillon & water)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley (or 1/4 cup if using fresh)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 large potato, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 carrots, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- In a large soup-pot saute the onion, red bell pepper, and celery in olive oil until translucent.
- Add ham & spices - cook 5 more minutes stirring occasionally – add a splash or water if it gets dry so as not to let the onions caramelize.
- To the pot add stock, lentils, and tomato and turn heat up to medium. Let boil for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots & potatoes to pot and reduce heat to simmer – cook another 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and let the soup rest 15 minutes then serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and some nice crusty bread :).