Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lentils Vegetable Soup is one of my recipes for vegans and vegertians. I prepare it for my family especially during Lent.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1⁄2 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 stalks celery (trimmed and diced)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root juice or 1 teaspoon vinaigrette
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (Berbere)
- 3 cups water (or more)
- salt and black pepper
- Sauté the onions, carrots, celery with olive oil by gradually adding half cup of water until soft.
- Add to the sauté onions, diced tomatoes, hot red pepper powder and stir for five minutes; add 3 cups of water, leave it to boil.
- Rinse the lentils with cold water.
- To the boiling sauce, add lentils, ginger juice, white pepper and two cups of vegetable broth; reduce the heat to medium; cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are very soft.
- Using a cooking stick, puree the soup in its pot or transfer to a food processor, blend the lentils until smooth; and bring it back to its saucepan.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth or water as need; then in a lower heat stir the soup for 10 minutes. Add salt and black pepper. Remove from heat. Garnish it with fresh parsley, basil or cheese of your choice.
- Serve it hot or cold. Keep it in the fridge.
A very basic, tasty lentil soup. Quick to make & great on a cool day. Everyone loved it! made for PAC 9/08.