Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lentils stew with tomatoes, garlic and onions
- 1 lb dry lentils
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 2 large onions
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons savory
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Bring the lentils into water to boil, remove from heat, drain and throw away the first water.
- Bring the lentils to boil in 2 liters of water.
- Put 5-6 sliced garlic gloves and finely chopped 1 onion into the pot.
- Boil until the lentils is tender.
- While boiling the lentils with the garlic and onion, heat the oil and simmer the second finely chopped onion.
- Add the salt and paprika, continue simmer until the onion is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Mix the tomatoes mixture with the lentils. Add the savory and turn down the heat. Mince the garlic and add to the cooked stew. It may be hot in taste.
Having never cooked Lentils before, I wanted to find an easy recipe to use. This couldn't have been an easier or tastier! I used the basics of this recipe and added things that I thought would add to it. I added some ground sausage, carrots and celery and a few handfuls of rotini noodles. It made a huge pot and everyone loved it. Great recipe for first time Lentil cookers. Thanks for a great dinner!
I was looking for a simple recipe for the dry lentils I bought for the first time. I found it. This is a great starter recipe if you have never cooked lentils before. I have made other beans so I added what I like in them. I added 1 green pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, I would have added celery but didn't have any. It still turned out great!