Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Sunset’s Casserole Cookbook. A simple dish my DH and I enjoy.
- 340.19 g lentils
- 1064.65 ml boiling water
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed)
- 453.59 g mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 large carrots, diagonally sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 44.37 ml vinegar
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, minced
- Rinse lentils in water and drain well; pick out and discard any foreign material. Add to 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven. Add the boiling water, salt, and garlic. Cover and place in a 350° F oven to begin baking.
- Meanwhile, remove casings from sausage and cut into 1-inch chunks. Cook sausage in a wide frying pan over medium heat until well browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage and stir into lentils. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings; add onion to drippings and cook, stirring, until soft. Stir onion and carrots into lentils.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Stir tomato sauce and vinegar into lentils and bake, uncovered, for 20 more minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
Made this pretty much as per recipe. I boiled the sausages till firm and then cut them into inch chunks. Added them back to the pan and cooked until cooked through. They were very lean and I did need olive oil to cook the onions and garlic. This was served other cooked quinoa with a salad and corn muffins for a nutrition packed meal. Everyone thought the dish was wonderful. Made for Aussie Swap.