Recipe by mersaydees
From Sunset’s Casserole Cookbook. A simple dish my DH and I enjoy.
Top Review by PaulaG
Made this pretty much as per recipe. I boiled the sausages till firm and then cut them into inch chunks. Added them back to the pan and cooked until cooked through. They were very lean and I did need olive oil to cook the onions and garlic. This was served other cooked quinoa with a salad and corn muffins for a nutrition packed meal. Everyone thought the dish was wonderful. Made for Aussie Swap.
- 12 ounces lentils
- 4 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 large carrots, diagonally sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils in water and drain well; pick out and discard any foreign material. Add to 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven. Add the boiling water, salt, and garlic. Cover and place in a 350° F oven to begin baking.
- Meanwhile, remove casings from sausage and cut into 1-inch chunks. Cook sausage in a wide frying pan over medium heat until well browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage and stir into lentils. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings; add onion to drippings and cook, stirring, until soft. Stir onion and carrots into lentils.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Stir tomato sauce and vinegar into lentils and bake, uncovered, for 20 more minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.