Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
This is an adaptation from Woman's Encyclopedia of Cookery. The smell of the onions in the olive oil enticed even my children. This is hearty and can be the main dish, or served with lamb. We usually have it over a large bed of spinach. Sometimes we add fresh chopped tomatoes and thinly sliced onions. I certainly feel this is a comfort food.
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils (dry)
- 3 onions (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water (approximate)
- 6 cups spinach (washed and dried in salad spinner)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils.
- Add water to cover lentils, boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Slowly cook onions with salt, in olive oil over low heat, until they start to brown.
- Add to lentils.
- Rinse rice.
- Saute rice in butter until it looses its translucency, and again becomes very white.
- Add to lentils and onions.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Cook until rice and lentils are tender, about 25 minute.
- Serve over a large bed of spinach.