Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My DH appreciates a lentil soup that is less salty than my usual ham hock recipe. So I created this one for him.
- 2 turkey wings, large,oven roasted til browned
- 1 quart water or 1 quart chicken stock, for broth pot
- 1 onion, large,chopped,put peelings in broth pot to add golden color
- 2 carrots, washed,peeled,chopped,put peelings in broth pot
- 3 celery ribs, washed,chopped,put tops and leaves in broth pot
- 1 leek, split,washed,chopped,white part only,put a few of the green part in broth pot
- 3 potatoes, yukon gold,washed,chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In crockpot, cook oven-roasted turkey wings until meat is tender, along with vegetable peelings.
- Remove turkey wings from broth and cool.
- Strain broth and discard vegetable peelings.
- Return broth to crockpot.
- Cook Lentils in separate pot until tender.
- Rinse well in cool water.
- Put in crockpot with broth.
- Saute chopped vegetables in olive oil or butter until almost cooked.
- Put in crockpot with broth and lentils.
- Remove meat from cooled turkey wings.
- Put in crockpot with broth, lentils, and vegetables.
- Cook soup until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with burrito style tortillas that have been cut into triangles, deep-fat fried, and sprinkled with Tony Cacheries Cajun spice and curry powder.
- My DH calls these"Cheater Chapatis.
- "Can also serve with very ripe tomatoes diced small and put in soup at the table.