Recipe by gailanng
Lentils with French influences. Serve with French bread slices. Adapted from Jenna Weber from PBS.
Top Review by Sica
This was my 1st attempt of cooking lentils. I didn't even know if I'd like them. I think I cooked them a little to high cause they were crunchy. <br/><br/>All in all great flavor. I used Smoked sausage and couldn't believe how it tasted even better being baked instead of fried in the pan. <br/><br/>Also, my husband said he liked it, that is always a plus. He usually says it's ok or don't make that ever again. Good is rate. LOL
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, small diced
- 1 stalk celery, small diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry green lentils, rinsed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh minced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- splash red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, about 4 large links (can sub mild Italian)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven. When hot, add the onion, carrot and celery. Saute for five minutes, stirring frequently, then add the garlic and continue sauteing for another two minutes.
- Add the fresh rosemary, dried thyme, bay leaf, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and lentils. Mix well then pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes until lentils have absorbed most of the liquid. Stir in the Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar and continue simmering until all the liquid has been absorbed. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place sausages on a foil-lined baking sheet and lightly mist with cooking spray. If you don't have cooking spray, brush lightly with olive oil. Place in the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, flipping midway through. The sausages should appear to be crispy and golden.
- When the sausages are finished roasting, place in the pot with the lentils and serve together.