1/2 Photos of Lentils and Rice With Caramelized Onions
1 hr 15 mins
This can be served either warm or room temperature as an appetizer (good with toasted pita chips), or as a side to chicken. As suggested by some reviewers, add cumin and allspice to taste, if desired!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and slice onions vertically.
- 2Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 3Add onion; cover and cook 15 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- 4Uncover and increase heat to medium; cook 25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and keep onions warm.
- 5While onion cooks, bring water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- 6Add lentils; return to a boil and reduce heat to keep at a low boil and cook 20 minutes.
- 7Stir in 1/2 cup caramelized onion, rice, salt, and pepper. Cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 25 minutes, until lentils and rice are tender.
- 8Spoon lentils and rice into a shallow dish; top with remaining onion.
- 9Drizzle remaining oil over lentils. Serve with yogurt, if desired.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentils and Rice With Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.8
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 201.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 7.3 g