Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Southern Living.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (do NOT drain)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (I omit)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- cooking spray
- Cook lentils according to package, omitting salt.
- Drain and set aside. Melt margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onion, green pepper, and garlic; stir often and cook until tender.
- Stir in lentils, tomatoes with juice, paprika, salt, black pepper, and red pepper; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes (stir occasionally).
- Meantime, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray, and place rice in dish, topped next with lentils.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Add cheese and bake 5 more minutes.
I omitted the rice, added chicken and about 1-2 cups broth to make it more saucy. Very good.