Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another dry soup mix to try!
- 1⁄2 cup dry split peas
- 1⁄3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄3 cup dry lentils
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta or 1⁄2 cup other small macaroni noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 quarts water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- In a 1 1/2 pint jar, layer the first eight ingredients in the order listed.
- Seal tightly.
- To prepare soup, carefully remove macaroni from the top of the jar and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, or Dutch oven, brown beef; drain.
- Add the water tomatoes and soup mix.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the reserved macaroni, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the macaroni, peas, lentils, and barley are tender.
I simply loved this recipe. It's hearty and a meal in itself. I packaged all the dry ingredients and gave it as Christmas gifts.
I was very dissapointed with this recipe. I tried it for dinner this evening before making it up as gifts for friends. I simmered (and boiled in desperation) for 2 hours and still the soup was very thin and not what I was expecting. Quite a weak flavour too - sorry I wanted to give it more stars - I will try it again in case I made some huge error - in which case I'll update this review!!! This is the first thing I have given a low star rating too - I guess thats what this site is all about - thanks for posting Aroostook - it sounded good!
This tastes fantastic and is SO easy! Makes tons--plenty left over for lunches, more meals, etc. We made it this year for gifts and got rave reviews, particularly since there's not a huge list of additions for the recipient. We used pint jars and added the pasta separately on top for greater ease. Fantastic!!