Recipe by bigbadbrenda
Berliner linsentop is the German word for this. I found the recipe in an 1984 recipe book of World Best Vegetable recipes. Posted for ZWT6
Top Review by kellychris
GREAT!! I wasn't too sure about vingar+sugar in beans- but they MAKE THE DISH!! I have never had lentils before and this was a great way to try them out for the 1st time. Now I'm not sure I will cook them any other way!!(; Thank you so much- made for The Xtra Hot Dishes of ZWT6.
- 532.32 ml lentils, washed and cleaned
- 1419.54 ml water
- 453.59 g thick slab bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 118.29 ml vinegar
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 29.58 ml parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine lentils,water and bacon in a large heavy saucepan .
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and continue to cook until lentils are tender about 15 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Place in serving dish and keep warm.
- Melt butter in skillet ;saute onions and parsley over medium heat until onions are transparent.
- Spoon over lentils.
- Serve hot.