This is a healthy, nutty lentil salad with great flavor and an appealing crunch from the walnuts and green onions. Keep it vegetarian by using vegetable broth if you wish. It's one of my favorites, and tastes best at room temperature.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1⁄2 large onion, quartered
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup walnut halves
- Cook lentils with onion half, cloves, broth and thyme until tender but NOT mushy (check after about 25 minutes).
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, green onions and oils.
- When lentils are done, drain and immediately pour dressing over the hot lentils (it's important to do this while lentils are hot).
- Season with salt and (lots) of black pepper; combine thoroughly, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving add the walnuts; finish by adding a little more white wine vinegar or walnut oil if you like and garnish with flat-leaf parsley and more black pepper.