1/1 Photo of Lentil-Walnut Salad
This is a healthy, nutty lentil salad with great flavor and an appealing crunch from the walnuts and green onions. Keep it vegetarian by using vegetable broth if you wish. It's one of my favorites, and tastes best at room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 large onion, quartered
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 1Cook lentils with onion half, cloves, broth and thyme until tender but NOT mushy (check after about 25 minutes).
- 2In a large bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, green onions and oils.
- 3When lentils are done, drain and immediately pour dressing over the hot lentils (it's important to do this while lentils are hot).
- 4Season with salt and (lots) of black pepper; combine thoroughly, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5Just before serving add the walnuts; finish by adding a little more white wine vinegar or walnut oil if you like and garnish with flat-leaf parsley and more black pepper.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil-Walnut Salad
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.8
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar