My daughter's boyfriend's mom gave her a cookbook that was created by the Houston Ballet for their Nutcracker Christmas Market in 1984. The recipes in the book were submitted by directors, choreographers, and dancers in the Houston Ballet that year. This recipe was submitted by Sandra Organ, Corps de Ballet.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry lentils
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup raw rolled oats
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 5 slices cheddar cheese
- Soak lentils overnight in enough water to cover.
- Cook lentils in boiling water until tender; drain.
- Finely dice the mushrooms, green pepper, celery, carrots, garlic, onion, and walnuts.
- Saute the vegetables and walnuts in margarine. Add salt, black pepper, chili powder, and mustard and stir well.
- In a bowl, mix sauted vegetables, lentils, and rolled oats. Mash together moderately.
- Add tomato paste, eggs, and Worcestershire and mix well.
- Form into 5 large flat patties.
- Broil until browned and crispy, about 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Top each patty with a slice of cheddar and return to the broiler until cheese is melted.