Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I am at a loss to say what cookbook inspired this one, perhaps I did invent it after all. It's a good one dish meal, with a different use of lentils.
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 cup fresh celery
- 2 medium gala apples
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1 large orange, orange pulp and juice of
- 1⁄2 cup roasted and salted cashew pieces
- 1⁄3 cup red onion
- 1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise (or preferred mayo type product)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse plain mustard
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Sort, wash, and cook green lentils in water to cover until tender. (allow 35 minutes at a boil).
- String and chop the celery into a fine dice. Cut the apples into a similar size, unpeeled if organic. Do the same with the red onion.
- Rinse and drain the currants, then soak them with the pulp and juice juice of the orange in a small bowl.
- Combine celery, apples, currants and orange mixture, and red onion in two quart bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients, and add them to the bowl after adjusting for taste.
- Drain and rinse the lentils, more than once if need be. Drain really well, then add to the bowl, combine all thoroughly. Add cashews, and toss again.