Recipe by tamarinda
Prep time excludes soaking time. Adapted from Bawarchi.com "Saroj's Cookbook: For Diabetics". The same batter can be used to make dosas (south Indian crepes) or pancakes on a non-stick griddle.
Top Review by The Dancing Soy Bean
This was pretty good, but EXTREMELY salty with 1 tsp of salt. So next time I think I will cut the salt in half or even make it 1/3 the recommended amount. Also, needs a little more of a kick, like more chilis... but overall it made a tasty pancake that went well with a thin curry sauce that could soak into the cake. Beautiful colour too.
- 1 cup green gram, lentils with skin (wash and soak for 3 hours)
- 1 tablespoon rava (semolina)
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped (or fenugreek leaves)
- 4 -5 green chilies
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, drain lentils, do not discard skins.
- Add them back to lentils.
- Grind lentils, garlic, ginger, garlic to a paste.
- Add all other ingredients and make a thick batter.
- Heat waffle iron, pour 1 ladleful of mixture in centre.
- Close and allow to cook till done.
- Serve hot with green chutney or curds.