This soup is easy to put together with basic food items that most of us have around. I found the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes, and I did some adjustments with the vegetables and herbs used. I was surprised at how good this very simple soup turned out.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (2 cans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse lentils.
- Place all ingredients except the pepper into a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for at least 12 hours, or high for at least 5 hours.
- Season with pepper and remove the bay leaves before serving.