Recipe by *Parsley*
A nice healthy soup. Inexpensive to make, too.
Top Review by Slocan cook
This soup was very good with the lentil split pea combination giving it a nice texture that made the soup delicious to eat for dinner tonight with my rye crackers that go well with this soup. I did not add the cider vinegar because I am very sensitive to the acid. I think it tastes just wonderful without adding anything extra to the mixture. A very good soup for a fall lunch.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery, include the leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 6 cups chicken broth, can use veg broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup dried yellow split peas, rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable juice, such as V-8
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, heat oil.
- Saute the onions, celery and garlic until starting to soften.
- Add carrots and broth to the pot.
- Add the rinsed lentils, split peas, black pepper, thyme and salt to the pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour.
- ***If desired, use an immersion blender and quickly "whiz" for just a second or two. This gives it a thicker, creamier texture.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable juice, sugar and cider vinegar.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At this time, taste and season with more salt, if necessary.