Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is such a great flavoured stew. Wonderful as a side dish and can be frozen.You can skip the Garam masala it won't change too much the flavour. I got it from MSN Food and Entertaining
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups green lentils (picked over and rinsed)
- 1 lb sweet potato (peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (9 ounce) bag fresh spinach (or )
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
- In a 6 quart saucepot, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add chopped onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Stir in minced ginger, garam masala (if adding) and chopped garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add water, lentils, cubed potatoes, tomatoes, broth and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and heat through.