Recipe by Sage
Goodness of lentils using leftover Easter ham. This is but a base for whatever vegetables or spices you would like to use. It is tasty good for the cold spring weather we are having.
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 1⁄2 cup ham, cubed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup broccoli stem, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Vegeta
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup pot heat up oil; add onions, shallot, carrots and celery.Cook about 5 minutes; add garlic and mushrooms; cook 5 more minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute.
- Add lentils, ham and chicken broth; stir in Vegeta and savory.
- Cover and cook until lentil are tender;add broccoli stems last 10 minutes about 30-40 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Serve with parmesan cheese for a change of flavour.