1/1 Photo of Lentil Vegetable Soup
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I love this soup in the cold months. Living in Green Bay that's about 6 months out of the year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and garlic.
- 3Cook stirring frequently, 10 to 12 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- 4Add the lentils, broth, bay leaf, and pepper.
- 5Stir to mix well.
- 6Bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat to low.
- 8Cover and cook for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- 9Pour half of the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- 10Pour the remaining mixture into a blender or food processor.
- 11Blend or process until smooth.
- 12Return the puree to the pot.
- 13Add the celery, cabbage, and carrot.
- 14Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, so the flavors blend.
- 15Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, vinegar and the reserved lentil mixture.
- 16Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until heated through.
- 17Remove and discard the bay leaf.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.6
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth