Recipe by White Rose Child
My family enjoys this so much on cool nights. It's simple and comforting, with earthy flavors. Serve with a healthy bread for dunking!
- 7 -8 cups sodium-free vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentil
- 4 -5 cups swiss chard, washed and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed (peel if desired)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 156 ml no-added-salt tomato paste (1 small can)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT lemon juice in a large pot; stir well so the lentils don't stick to the bottom and burn. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook, covered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve with bread; or,.
- For a thick and warming stew, stir a few spoonfuls of a leftover cooked grain into each bowl before serving: wild rice, brown rice and millet are all good options. Enjoy!