Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of our favorite winter foods. It originally came from the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook I got as a wedding present more than 40 years ago. The tomatoes & vinegar added at the end gives it a ZING that makes it special. I usually serve it with whole wheat bread with real butter.
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 -4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Lightly sauté bacon & onion in stock pot.
- Add 8C water & next 7 ingredients.
- Cover & simmer 1½ hours.
- Add tomatoes, wine vinegar; simmer 30 min more
- Season to taste.