10 hrs 15 mins
I adapted this from the "Fix-it and Forget-It Lightly" cookbook. The original recipe is great, but my carnivore husband suggested adding the kielbasa, which I did in the last hour of slow cooking. I also threw in extra veggies, both fresh and canned. This is one of those recipes you don't have to worry about measuring the veggies...in fact, add whatever you fancy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (try the kind with green peppers or onions or garlic already added)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb dried lentils, rinsed and drained with any stones removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large red potatoes, cubed
- 1 (24 ounce) can seasoned mustard greens or 1 (24 ounce) can turnip greens or 1 (24 ounce) can kale
- 1 lb light pre-cooked kielbasa, sliced (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- 1Combine water, tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, red wine, basil, thyme, bay leaf, crush red peeper in slow cooker.
- 2Stir to blend.
- 3Add lentils, onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic, greens and kielbasa.
- 5Cook on low 10-12 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- 6Remove bay leaf, and serve with chopped basil, parsley, hot sauce or sour cream garnish (or any combination of these).
- 7NOTE: I prefer to add the canned greens and kielbasa in the last hour of cooking, but if you don't have time for that, just throw everything together in the slow cooker and forget about it until dinnertime!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil-Vegetable-Kielbasa Slow Cooker Stew
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.2
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 212.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.9 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 17.6 g