Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great recipe for using up leftover turkey!!! I doubled the recipe when I made it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium leeks (well rinsed & thinly sliced)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter over med-high heat.
- Add leeks, carrots & celery and cook until leeks are softened.
- Stir in bay leaf, thyme, rice & chicken stock.
- Cover & bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low & simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in lentils & turkey.
- Cook until rice is tender (about 25 minutes longer).
- Remove bay leaf & thyme sprig.
- Stir in parsley & pepper just before serving.
This one caught my eye to use up leftover turkey in a healthy way. Delicious soup! Will definitely make again, probably with chicken too. Thanks for posting!
I used ground turkey and vegetable stock-and got rave reviews! I doubled the recipe and 8 of us ate almost all of it.