Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Lentil Tomato Soup is delicious and filling and very easy to make. Green vegetables make this soup a powerhouse of nutrition. Be sure not to overcook the lentils, as they can get rather mushy. After you stir in the tomatoes, let the soup simmer for 20 minutes if you have time in order to allow the flavors to blend a little more. And feel free to double the recipe and keep some in the fridge for a day or two, as the soup will get even better over this time.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or apple juice instead)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Heat a large soup pan on medium heat. Add the olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until translucent (not browned).
- Pour in the wine and allow it to bubble to deglaze the pot and burn off the alcohol.
- If using dried herbs, stir them in now, followed by the lentils. Pour in the water and boil for 30 minutes or until the lentils are softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes and sea salt and leave for 10 or preferably 20 minutes.
- Stir in the greens a few minutes before serving so they wilt. If using fresh herbs, stir them in now.
- Optionally garnish this lentil tomato soup recipe with fresh herbs or a roasted nut or seed and enjoy.
Great soup to have on this windy and cold day! I made 1/2 the recipe since I am the only one who will eat it and glad I did since it makes a lot! I have never had lentils before and was pleasantly surprised at the taste! I did cover the lentils while they were boiling and all my liquid cooked out and they stuck a little to the pan so I added about 1 cup of chicken stock when I added the tomatoes and simmered for 20 minutes. This is a hearty and healthy soup I will make again in the cold months. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
Love this recipe! I used apple juice rather than white wine and two cups of low-sodium chicken broth (I'm not a vegan) and two cups water. Soup was perfect. Thanks for sharing.
I left out the marjoram as I don't like it. I used canned lentils as I was short on time. I cooked a stick of chopped celery after the onions and used lots more spinach. It was wonderful and DH and DS (adult) both rated it A1. Next time I'll do it from scratch with dried lentils. Thanks HV for a truly delicious recipe I can use often.
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-tomato-soup-439692#ixzz1XxTyyvQU