Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious lentil soup that has an Italian flavor. Very simple to make, and a delicious meal with just some good quality French bread or some good rolls or biscuits. Quite good if you are a fan of lentil soup!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Sort and rinse lentils.
- In a large saucepan, combine rinsed lentils and water.
- In a small frying pan, or skillet, saute onion and garlic in the butter until onion is tender but not browned.
- Add onion and garlic to lentils.
- Stir in salt, pepper, sugar, Oregano, basil and parsley.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Stir well.
- Simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Garnish each bowl with a parsley sprig, if desired.
I didn't have any oregano so used cumin and garam masala and it was YUM! Very easy and quick to make. From start to finish was 30 minutes. Next time I will saute the onion and garlic in the pot, then add water and lentils etc after that -less washing up.
Very tasty soup! I doubled the oregano and basil, only added 1 tsp of salt and half of a vegan chicken soup bouillon cube. I served it with garlic naan bread, my hubby loved it! I bet it will be even better tomorrow, thanks for posting!