Recipe by Nic
This is a really quick to put together and good for those cold winter days. Now that my husband doesn't eat meat, I use vegetarian stock and leave out the bacon.
Top Review by ElleFirebrand
Really easy to make and very hearty. I made a batch of this, froze it individual containers and then took it to work for lunch. YUM. Will be a nice addition to the arsenal this coming winter.
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 slice smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 113.39 g dried red lentils
- 473.19 ml vegetable stock or 473.19 ml chicken stock
- 396.89 g canitalian chopped tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- 29.58 ml double cream, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat butter (or oil) and cook onion and bacon till beginning to brown.
- Stir in lentils, add stock, tomatoes and their juice and stir well.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-30 mins until lentils are cooked.
- Liquidise soup in blender, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a swirl of cream, serve with crusty bread or toast.