Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a really quick to put together and good for those cold winter days. Now that my husband doesn't eat meat, I use vegetarian stock and leave out the bacon.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 slices smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 4 ounces dried red lentils
- 1 pint vegetable stock or 1 pint chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) canitalian chopped tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons double cream, to garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat butter (or oil) and cook onion and bacon till beginning to brown.
- Stir in lentils, add stock, tomatoes and their juice and stir well.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-30 mins until lentils are cooked.
- Liquidise soup in blender, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a swirl of cream, serve with crusty bread or toast.
Really easy to make and very hearty. I made a batch of this, froze it individual containers and then took it to work for lunch. YUM. Will be a nice addition to the arsenal this coming winter.
Both my larder and ambition were running on empty yesterday, but dinner time was approaching. I scanned my saved recipes and found this one. The soup required ingredients I had availalbe and was absurdly easy to prepare. Beyond that, it was delicious! My teen even suggested I send in the remainder (I doubled the recipe) with her today in a thermos. High praise, indeed!! Thanks for posting!
Absolutely exquisite!! Easy to make, and a delicious blend of flavours that had my DF and me wowing over our dinner. I added some garlic with the onions as well, because we like garlic, and used single rather than double cream, but it was still beautiful and amazing! Will definitely make again, probably adding even more garlic - but just because we like garlic, not because this soup really needs anything to make it better. A definite 5 stars!!!!