This is a really quick to put together and good for those cold winter days. Now that my husband doesn't eat meat, I use vegetarian stock and leave out the bacon.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter (or oil) and cook onion and bacon till beginning to brown.
- Stir in lentils, add stock, tomatoes and their juice and stir well.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-30 mins until lentils are cooked.
- Liquidise soup in blender, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a swirl of cream, serve with crusty bread or toast.