3 hrs 25 mins
I love tabbouleh, and this recipe is really refreshing to enjoy on a hot summer's day. The recipe comes from the July 2009 issue of Good Housekeeping. This makes 12 side-dish servings or 6 main-dish servings. The cooking time is actually the time needed for cooking, cooling and refrigerating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups water (I use 3 cups of water and 3 cups of low-sodium vegetarian broth to give it some extra flavor)
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup french green lentils or 1 cup brown lentils, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 6 large ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- English cucumber, peeled in alternating strips to give a striped effect on the outside, and then chopped (seedless)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1In a covered 3-quart saucepan, heat 6 cups water (or water/broth combo) to boiling on high. In medium bowl, place bulgur; cover with 2 cups of the liquid. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, to remaining liquid in saucepan, add lentils and 1/4 teaspoon salt (if using part vegetarian broth) or 1/2 teaspoon salt (if using water only). Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain lentils well in colander.
- 3In large bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil, 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper until blended. Add warm bulgur and lentils; stir to coat. Let stand 15 minutes or until cool.
- 4Stir tomatoes, cucumber, and green onions into bulgur mixture. Cover lentil tabbouleh and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight. To serve, stir in parsley, mint, and garnish with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Tabbouleh
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.7
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 12.0 g