Recipe by Glitterhoof
This is my own recipe combining several of my favourite ingredients. This can be altered in a variety of ways, including adding different vegetables such as cauliflower or white potato, adding grilled chicken, paneer or a tin or two of chickpeas. This makes a substantial batch, which I usually portion out and freeze.
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
Made half a recipe and was good but not spicy enough for us. Need to get fresh curry powder or make my own. Didn't have zucchini so used spinach. Served with Recipe #446809 and Recipe #130055.
- 20 g oil (or butter)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 75 g fresh ginger, minced
- 150 g white onions, diced
- 2 red chilies, seeded and chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup curry powder (I use Schwartz)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 350 g red lentils (dry, rinsed)
- 700 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 200 g courgettes, chopped
- 1 cup coconut cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Sauté the onions, garlic and ginger until onions are tender, but not browned.
- Add the curry powder and stir through.
- Add the lentils, sweet potato and courgette, stir and just barely cover with water (you can use vegetable or chicken stock if you prefer).
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the lentils are tender. If there's quite a bit of liquid you can add more lentils. Add salt to taste.
- Add coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve over rice, with naan or just enjoy on its own.