1 hr 5 mins
Nancy's Pantry's Note:
Recipe is from my "The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy International Recipes" cookbook. A Middle-Eastern flair to these peppers with the addition of pine nuts, raisens and earthy spices such as cumin and cinnamon. Choose the color of pepper you wish to use -- the recipe calls for green bell peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked
- 6 large green bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (or chopped almonds)
- 1 medium golden delicious apple, unpeeled, finely chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 8 small stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils and reduce heat to medium-low - cover and simmer 40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain.
- 2Slice the tops off the bell peppers. Remove seeds and membranes. Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add peppers. Boil 5 minutes, then remove peppers from water and place upside-down on towels to drain.
- 3Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pine nuts. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown and pine nuts are lightly toasted. Add apple and continue to cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in lentils and remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 7 x 11 inch baking pan ready.
- 5Divide lentil mixture evenly and fill each pepper using about 3/4 cup in each pepper. Place stuffed peppers in baking pan and fill bottom of pan with 1/4 inch water. Cover tightly and bake 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil-Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.7
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 509.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives