Recipe by ohgal
This is from ConAgra Foods. I like it because it uses common pantry ingredients. It's a healthy dish to serve.
Top Review by Elmotoo
I chose this to go under recipe#218117 for the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap. It was very good. Watch when precooking the peppers...they go from done to overdone quickly! Thank you!
- 1⁄2 cup dried brown lentils, picked over, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Spray 13x9-inch baking pan and medium skillet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine lentils, water and thyme in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover with tight fitting lid, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cut bell peppers lengthwise through stem into halves. Remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut-side down, in pan. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and celery. Cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring several times. Add undrained tomatoes, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, keep warm over low heat. Stir in drained lentils.
- Turn pepper halves over. Place half of tomato-lentil mixture in peppers. Top with half of the cheese. Add remaining tomato-lentil mixture and top with remaining cheeese. Bake 5 minutes more to melt cheese. Serve with rice.