Super healthy and delicious lentil stew. A family favorite from Sunset Magazine February 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup french green lentil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 small turnips, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-in . cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch peeled chioggia beet, peeled (or 3 large beets, halved)
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash (1/2-in. cubes)
- 4 cups stemmed chopped kale
- 1 bunch about 5 baby carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
- 1/2 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- 3 ounces aged goat cheese (such as Chevrot or BÃƒ cheron, cut into small pieces)
- 1Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add garlic, lentils, salt, pepper, thyme, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- 3Add turnips, beets, and squash and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- 4Add kale and carrots and cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in parsley and goat cheese. Serve immediately, accompanied by crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Stew With Winter Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.2
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 750.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: