Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Super healthy and delicious lentil stew. A family favorite from Sunset Magazine February 2007.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup french green lentil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 small turnips, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-in . cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch peeled chioggia beet, peeled (or 3 large beets, halved)
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash (1/2-in. cubes)
- 4 cups stemmed chopped kale
- 1 bunch about 5 baby carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
- 1⁄2 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- 3 ounces aged goat cheese (such as Chevrot or BÃƒ cheron, cut into small pieces)
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, lentils, salt, pepper, thyme, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add turnips, beets, and squash and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Add kale and carrots and cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and goat cheese. Serve immediately, accompanied by crusty bread.