1/1 Photo of Lentil Stew With Pumpkin or Sweet Potatoes
1 hr 10 mins
Kiwi Kathy's Note:
This easy, subtly seasoned stew is an adaptation of a Moroccan recipe by Kitty Morse, from her lovely book “The Vegetarian Table: North Africa.” Whether you choose to use sweet potatoes or winter squash, you’ll be using vegetables with a great deal of vitamin A. Recipe discovered on the NY Times website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 20 sprigs cilantro, tied into a bunch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 carrot, large, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 225 g pumpkin or 225 g squash or 225 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1Combine the lentils, water or stock, onion, garlic cloves and bay leaf in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil.
- 2Rub the saffron between your fingers and add to the pot, along with the turmeric and the cilantro. Reduce the heat, add salt to taste, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 3Remove the onion and garlic cloves from the pot, and add the remaining ingredients except the parsley. Bring back to a simmer, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- 4Discard the cilantro bundle, taste and adjust seasonings.
- 5Just before serving, stir in the parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Stew With Pumpkin or Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.4
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 85.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g