Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My grandmother has been making this recipe since I was a kid. I have looked for a similar recipie for a long, but no one seems to make it this way. It is perfect for the winter or for just a healthy meal! I have also used left over marinara sauce instead of the tomatoes and it was even better. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag lentils, washed and drained
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Put lentils in a large pot and put in enough water to cover lentils about 4 inches above the beans. Cook over med-high heat.
- Add tomatoes and sauce, bell peppers, onions, garlic, vinegar, boullion, and salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer a half an hour.
- Add ground beef in small batches and simmer until beef is cooked about a half hour more.
- I have also sauteed the onions, bell pepper, and garlic, but I prefer them to boil them with the lentils. Try it either way, it will still be amazing!