Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you're a spinach lover, you're gonna love this hearty stew! Choose plump-looking lentils and discard any that are shriveled or have spots.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 4 teaspoons instant vegetable bouillon granules or 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Rinse lentils; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook onion and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown.
- Stir in lentils, water, tomatoes, bouillon granules, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, fennel seed, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and frozen spinach.
- Bring to a boil, breaking up spinach with a fork; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes more or till lentils are tender.
- Stir in vinegar, and discard bay leaf.
- To serve, ladle stew into individual bowls.
Wholeheartedly impressed with this! Super easy and sooooo tasty. I used green lentils, 14oz can diced tomatoes, 2 stalks celery in place of carrots, added 1 cup cooked balsamic rice, and held the salt and pepper until soup was individually served. I also used the Fennel Spice Rub, which is found on the zaar, for the fennel seeds - adds a little kick! So does the balsamic vinegar, and I love the spinach here...what more can I say, this is likely one of THE nicest spinach lentil soups/stews I've prepared yet. Thank you, Bec.
I'm not a vegitarian but I do like "non meat" dishes. This was good served over rice with a tortilla. Had plenty leftovers for future enjoyment. Thanks Bec