1/1 Photo of Lentil Spaghetti Sauce
A delicious low-fat vegetarian (if not using beef broth) pasta sauce. From the Dietitians of Canada.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use broth instead)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup uncooked red lentil
- 2 cups water or 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups vegetable broth (I prefer beef broth)
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- 2Add lentils and water (or broth).
- 3Cover and cook on low heat until lentils are tender (20-35 minutes).
- 4Add tomato paste, 3/4 cup water and seasonings.
- 5Cover and cook until lentils are soft and mushy (about 10-15 minutes).
- 6Serve over cooked spaghetti.
- 7If desired, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.2
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 407.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 9.4 g