Recipe by Julesong
A delicious low-fat vegetarian (if not using beef broth) pasta sauce. From the Dietitians of Canada.
Top Review by Sueie
I used vegetable stock, and a can of tomatoes with tomato paste and herbs, (as that was what I had on hand). I also threw in a splash of red wine. REALLY good, will be keeping this recipe for the future. I am definitely going to give some more of your recipes a go.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use broth instead)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup uncooked red lentil
- 2 cups water or 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups vegetable broth (I prefer beef broth)
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add lentils and water (or broth).
- Cover and cook on low heat until lentils are tender (20-35 minutes).
- Add tomato paste, 3/4 cup water and seasonings.
- Cover and cook until lentils are soft and mushy (about 10-15 minutes).
- Serve over cooked spaghetti.
- If desired, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.