Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a low fat vegetarian lentil soup that uses wine and herbs to give it a rich flavor.
Make and share this Lentil Soup with Wine recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 4 -6 cups vegetable broth or 4 -6 cups water
- 3 stalks celery, plus some celery leaves,chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat the olive in pot, then add onion and saute on medium heat until they are golden.
- Add the garlic and saute just until the garlic is softened.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, then simmer about 45 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- If desired, take some of the soup and puree it, then add it back to the rest of the soup for a richer texture.
Excellent. Good way to use some nasty red wine I've had sitting in the cupboard for a while. I doubled the amount of wine to no ill effects
Quick and delicious! Loved the flavor of this hearty soup and it's so easy to make! Thanks for sharing -
Excellent! I doubled the recipe -- soups almost always taste better as leftovers. Also, I threw in extra celery, some carrots that were getting a bit 'questionable' in the bottom of the refrigerator, and a can of chickpeas. Entire veggie dinner in a pot and *perfect* for lunches at work.