Recipe by Lennie
This soup is simply wonderful to take away the chill! Make it vegetarian by eliminating the sausage and substitute vegetable stock for the chicken broth.
Top Review by riffraff
This was my trial by fire with lentils. Every single person that tried it wanted the recipe. Very filling and very tasty. I will be making this again and again. Thanks for a great winter soup recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 8 ounces turkey salami or 8 ounces kielbasa, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dry green lentils
- 1⁄4 seedless orange, with peel
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add celery and sausage (use the kielbasa instead of the salami, if available) and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, water, lentils, the piece of orange, spices plus salt and pepper (to taste) to pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes, cover partially and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Discard orange.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.