Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a basic lentil soup recipe served with red yeast rice. I recently discovered this rice and find it to be very tasty. Its beautiful, rich color makes it delightful to the eye as well! The red yeast rice is the product of yeast grown on rice and it is a dietary staple in some Asian countries. Red yeast rice is claimed to inhibit the formation of cholesterol. I hope you enjoy this recipe. You can coarsley chop the vegetables since they will be put into a blender at the end of the cooking. The rice can cook during the soup preparation.
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 -5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 cup red yeast rice
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Rinse and then soak the lentils in enough water to cover for at least 20 minutes. Drain off and rinse.
- Put lentils into a saucepan with water for cooking.
- Add the other ingredients, except for the parsley, to the sauce pan.
- Cook until the lentils are tender which takes about 30 minutes.
- Cool and put into a blender to combine.
- Add fresh parsley and blend.
- Add water to taste.
- Rinse rice and cook in a saucepan with 2 cups water for about 25 minutes.
- Place a generous scoop of rice into a soup bowl and pour the lentil soup over it. Serve immediately.