Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Comfort food for cold winter days. Serve with buttered crusty bread.
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 10 ounces green lentils (not Puy)
- 6 garlic cloves, unskinned
- 1 large carrot, scraped and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon spanish paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces kabanossi sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 liter water
- Pick over the lentils in case there are any little stones.
- Put every thing except for the garlic, potato, sausage and salt in a large cooking pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes, until the lentils are soft and beginning to collapse into the liquid.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and add more water if needed.
- While the soup is doing it's thing wrap the garlic cloves in foil (to make a loose parcel) and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- When the garlic is cooked squeeze the flesh from the skins and pop the flesh into the soup.
- Add the potato cubes and sliced sausage and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the potato cubes are cooked but still holding their shape.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Spoon into soup bowls and serve with buttered crusty bread.