Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a lovely soup, the yogurt gives it a nice fresh flavor. It is also low fat and healthy.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried lentils
- 9 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic and saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry, then lentils and stir 2 minutes.
- Add nine cups of broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more broth if soup is too thick and stirring occasionally, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Whisk yogurt, mint, cilantro, and basil in a small bowl to blend. Season herbed yogurt with pepper. Cover separately and chill.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon generous dollops of herbed yogurt atop soup and serve.
Great winter warmer ! I didn't change a thing and enjoyed it being a bit chunky - I loved the addition of the curry powder too .
This soup is so good tasting, and it's filled with such healthy ingredients, that it definitely has a place in my permanent file. I served it with some rustic bread and it was perfect for a light dinner. My son ate his without the yogurt topping, but the yogurt topping tastes so fresh and brightens up the taste that I put several large dollops in my bowl. Yumm. I'm going to make it next time using a little more garlic and onion, and using vegetarian broth so I can let all my vegetarian friends enjoy this soup. Thanks for posting this!